It’s the end of a long day. You walk into the house, set your keys down, and inhale, breathing in the comforts of home and letting go of all the stress you’ve built up. Many of us look to our homes as an escape from the hectic outside world. A destination of comfort, relaxation, and peace, we find refuge from the chaos of modern life when we walk through that front door.
It’s no wonder then, that recreating a master bathroom that is the ultimate in relaxation and self-care is a growing trend among homeowners. If an at-home spa sounds too good to be true, you’re in luck. We’ve taken inspiration from some of the world’s most luxurious spas to assemble this list of 21 actionable ideas for turning your bathroom into a mini DIY spa (and you won’t have to spend $100 an hour or more to enjoy it).
Aromatherapy Makes Scents
- Aloe, lavender, and bamboo plants purify the air and add a touch of nature to your bathroom. There are countless options perfect for any space. Choose plants that can thrive in humid environments with little or no direct sunlight.
- Add an essential oil diffuser to infuse your bathroom with the aroma of lavender, eucalyptus, lilac, and other soothing scents. Though candles and incense are ever-popular, diffusers provide all the same benefits with less upkeep (and they don’t necessitate an open flame).
- The odor left by harsh chemical cleaners can detract from a relaxing environment. Instead, try natural cleaning products with DIY guides like this one for a more soothing atmosphere.
Feel the Luxury
- Give yourself the spa treatment with thick, soft towels. And if you want to take it a step further, pamperyourself with a towel warmer. Imagine stepping out of a steaming bath or shower and wrapping yourself in a warm, luxurious bath towel. It doesn’t get much more relaxing than that!
- The best luxury spas allow you to relieve sore muscles, soothe dry skin, and soak your troubles away. If you’re thinking about a tub or shower upgrade, consider choosing a modern, freestanding tub for a high-end spa look that mimics your favorite spa and enjoy at-home spa days whenever the mood strikes.
- Not the soaking type? Spa-inspired walk-in showers are a hot trend. They’re elegant and modern, easy to enter and exit, and provide plenty of space. Add a rainfall showerhead and you’ve got an instant luxury spa experience!
- A waterproof Bluetooth speaker is perfect for setting the tone of a relaxing retreat. Inexpensive and easy to use, listening to your favorite Spotify playlist or nature sounds while you soak is an ideal way to end the day.
- An earthy color palette can help create a calming atmosphere. But if you’re looking to create a bold, luxury look, go darker… think navy blues and even black. Dark colors call to mind an indulgent spa experience. Consult with a design professional to choose a serene palette that works with your style and décor.
- Lighting is a critical component of a professional spa’s tranquil ambiance. Install dimmer switches so that you can set the mood that relaxes you in your own DIY spa. Consider voice-activated lighting for a smart-spa experience!
- Choose a seamless stone wall-surround for your shower. Not only does this create the look of an expensive day spa but your bathroom will be more resilient to mold, mildew, and stains, and that means you’ll spend less time scrubbing and more time soaking: A win-win!
- Beautiful, durable, and resilient stone or tile bathroom flooring is a major spa-like upgrade. Wood-look materials are another great option for a natural appearance.
- A new showerhead can set the tone for your home spa experience. Modern designs mimic the natural flow of falling rain and provide the perfect amount of pressure. You’ll never go back to a traditional showerhead once you experience the sensation that a rainfall showerhead provides!
Accessorize for Home Spa Tranquility
- Transfer soaps, body washes, moisturizers, lotions, bath bombs, and bath salts to apothecary-style dispensers for an uncluttered appearance.
- Replace plastic or rubber body scrubbers with natural loofahs and sponges. Biodegradable and inexpensive, these are the perfect accessory for a relaxing experience.
- A plush bathrobe and comfortable slippers are affordable luxuries at their finest and will perfectly complement your new home spa.
- Consider adding a shower bench or a built-in caddy. Matching benches are a beautiful, functional addition to any shower. A built-in caddy makes storing skincare products like lotions, cleansers, essential oils, and serums a breeze and adds a five-star touch.
- Gather all your day spa essentials—a good book, body scrub, hair mask, face mask, and a refreshing drink or chamomile tea—in a convenient and gorgeous teak storage caddy made to span the width of your bathtub. This way, you can read, exfoliate, and relax all in the privacy and comfort of your own home.
Home Spa Smarts
- Touchless faucets and soap dispensers are a practical luxury for your home spa. Not only do they keep fixtures clean but they also help to keep hands germ-free.
- Speaking of technology, smart showers are activated by a smart phone app and allow you to start and pause your shower and set a timeframe to avoid wasting water, control the temperature, and be notified when it’s ready.
- Install a cooled cabinet for storing cooling face masks and moisturizers at the perfect temperature. It’s a great place to store refreshing drinks, too (hydration in a humid environment is a must!).
- A smart mirror is a two-way mirror with an electronic display underneath the front layer of glass. Choose from a myriad of options including weather and traffic updates, adjustable lighting, and even Bluetooth connectivity so that you can pipe in your favorite playlist or podcast.
Turning your bathroom into a private spa is a fantastic way to add functionality and value to your home. If you’re ready to unwind in your own at-home spa, Re-Bath provides the designers and remodeling experts to make it a reality in just days, not weeks. Don’t DIY this important upgrade! Contact your local Re-Bath today for a free design consultation and get on the path to the ultimate at-home spa experience.