You wake up and stumble bleary-eyed into the bathroom. The lights flicker on as you enter and with a simple command, the shower turns on and warms to your desired temperature. Speakers behind the mirror give you a quick update on the day’s weather forecast and top news. After your shower, you wrap yourself in a heated towel from the warming drawer and instruct the mirror to switch to “task lighting mode” to make yourself presentable for the day’s video calls.
It may sound like a glimpse into the future, but it’s what your mornings could look like right now with smart products already available. There are more than 52 million smart homes in the United States. And smart technology isn’t just for the uber-wealthy anymore. More manufacturers offering a wide range of smart products makes them accessible to a larger segment of the population.
Another benefit? Smart tech adds a lot of value to your home. About 53% of Millennials are planning to buy homes in 2022, and nearly half of them have at least one smart home product in their homes. Even more telling, over 80% of real estate purchasers say they are more inclined to buy a house if it comes with smart technology products. If you’re considering a bathroom remodel, here are some smart products to consider incorporating for added comfort, convenience, health, efficiency, and enjoyment.
Smart Tech for Comfort
Starting and ending your day in comfort can have a big impact on how the rest of your day goes. You don’t have to go to a spa for luxurious comfort. These products give you the ultimate in comfort right in your own home.
- Warming drawers heat up your towels and robes to the perfect temperature. Wrap yourself in a toasty warm towel or robe after every shower for a luxury spa experience at home.
- Smart showers start and warm the water to your desired temperature before you even enter the bathroom. No more withstanding blasts of hot or cold as you struggle to get the temp just right!
- Smart toilets with built-in seat warmers seem like a silly luxury but there are more to these high-tech toilets than meets the eye (more on this later).
Smart Tech for Convenience
There’s something to be said for products that can make life just a little easier. These products feel a bit futuristic, but they really can save you time and effort now.
- Cooled cabinetry is designed to keep medications, refreshments, and organic facial remedies at your fingertips, and at the right temperature. No more storing these necessities in the kitchen refrigerator, out of sight, out of mind, and next to your leftovers.
- Smart mirrors can provide the day’s weather forecast, news, and traffic updates for your commute.
- Voice activated lighting lets you tell your mirror to switch to office lighting mode to make sure your makeup application is optimized for work, or to activate a wayfinding nightlight to avoid stubbing your toe in the dark.
- The Procter & Gamble (P&G) Charmin RollBot robot will bring you a fresh roll of toilet paper on command.
Smart Tech for Health
If the past couple years have taught us anything, it’s that taking some precautions can help avoid the spread of germs. Smart tech products make this easier – and likely more effective.
- Touchless toilets allow you to raise or lower the lid and flush with just a wave of your hand. These toilets are also self-cleaning, self-deodorizing, and can be equipped with antimicrobial seats.
- Digital faucets turn water on and off when they sense hand motion. They also come with programmable features, such as setting times for teeth brushing – a great addition for families with kids of all ages!
- Beautiful stone wall surrounds are thinner and lighter than ever, new stone materials eliminate the need for wasted rock while remaining mold resistant and 100% waterproof. That means less time and elbow grease keeping your shower surround clean.
- Smart bathroom mats measure weight and body-mass index, provide health insights such as posture scores and suggest exercises. All notifications are sent to a companion mobile app rather than being displayed on the mat.
- Soaking tubs have many health benefits including improved blood circulation, reduced arthritis pain, muscle pain relief, stress and anxiety reduction, and of course, a better mood. Kohler has come out with a line of smart, luxury soaking tubsthat have a chamber for an Alexa-enabled essential oils diffuser. Keep your mental and physical health in shape by indulging in one of these luxury tubs
- The latest ventilation systems are auto activated to turn on or off depending on the humidity level so that your bathroom is always well ventilated, mold and mildew free.
Smart Tech for Efficiency
The bathroom is likely the most used room in your home. Increasing its efficiency can have a positive impact on your wallet and the environment.
- Smart water heaters with Wi-Fi connectivity send alerts for spills and leaks as well as optimize water temperature for both comfort and efficiency.
- Smart water monitors provide useful insights to water usage. It can even notify you of a leak detected anywhere in your home. It measures microscopic water pressure changes in order to recognize different types of water fixtures. A Plumbing Check feature can detect a range of hidden flaws in the water system.
- Smart showers help reduce water consumption by letting users pause or set a specific amount of time for their shower.
- Water-saving faucets like Moen’s Eva series with WaterSense technology minimize the impact on both the environment and your water bill.
- High-efficiency toilets use less water which decreases your water bill and your impact on the environment.
Smart Tech for Enjoyment
Let’s face it, it’s been a tough couple of years. If you can find a little enjoyment in a smart product or two, don’t you deserve it?
- Waterproof TVs let you stream your favorite shows while soaking without the worry of dropping your iPad into the tub.
- Bluetooth speakers are perfect for adding a spa-like feel to your newly remodeled bathroom. Battery-powered and waterproof units are readily available, easily hidden, and can be connected to your favorite streaming service in a snap.
- Oil-diffusers are growing in popularity as more consumers recognize the potential health benefits of infusing essential oils in the bathroom. The Sierra Modern Home aromatherapy diffuser syncs with your smart speaker so you can change the light features, set a schedule for when the diffuser turns off and on, and you can choose how much mist to diffuse. Use voice control to get your perfect settings while you soak in the tub.
- Lighting systems go beyond simply changing the lighting for different tasks. These modern solutions let you customize everything from the brightness and temperature to the color of your bathroom for a completely personal experience.
The latest tech trends are more than functional; they’re designed with your comfort and quality of life in mind. Think your bathroom could use a facelift for the new year? Schedule a free, in-home design consultation and start designing the futuristic bathroom of your dreams, today!
The safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority. Each Re-Bath location is taking every precaution to continue bringing customers a bathroom they’ll love. Click here to learn how your local Re-Bath can safely serve you.