The Production Planner will use their knowledge of the production process to design and implement the production schedule plan considering all aspects of production including low cost, timeliness, and effectiveness. Monitors the materials inventories, tracking of progress of production, and reviewing of factors which affect production schedules. Works closely with other managers and leaders of other departments to ensure a cohesive shipping process. Maintains an accurate inventory of items produced, as well as ensure all company and industry standards and regulations are followed. Additionally, shares information about future production changes with other managers and follows strict safety rules.
By effectively scheduling employees, Production Planner helps ensure that company objectives are achieved and that all deadlines are met. The Production Scheduler must be able to multitask and provide quick responses to production problems. As issues may be unforeseen, the Production Scheduler must know how to shift resources and ensure that employees and materials are most effectively scheduled.
As generating reports and schedules will require the use of software, the Production Scheduler must have an aptitude for computers.
- Plans the material flow to meet production build, produces reports based on findings of performance in production KPI Metrics. Manage deadlines based on project expectations and report issues regarding quality/production.
- Make changes to the schedule to improve the flow of the product, identifies and resolves problems relating to inventory analysis. Monitors the material supply flow and identifies any shortages or bottlenecks in usage.
- Plans and monitors the inventory to optimal levels to support production’s current and future builds. Determines material, equipment, and labor requirements and plans the inventory management processes to avoid shortages and excesses.
- Creates production lot schedules based on incoming build plan and delivery schedule. Evaluate supplier’s quality and timeliness according to goals.
- Analyzes back orders, current orders, and upcoming orders to prioritize, plan, and schedule the production operations to ensure optimal production levels meet KPIs.
- Provides quick responses to production issues.
- Identifies problems and help improve processes.
- Generates daily or weekly production reports to managers for critical decision-making purposes.
- Ensures that company deadlines are met.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- Knowledge of production processes, quality assurance, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in planning, resource allocation, production methods, and coordination of people and resources
- Take into consideration the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one.
- Solid understanding of MRP and inventory control in an assembly environment
- Sharp analytical and problem-solving skills
- Meticulous and diligent ability to analyze root causes
- Ability to adapt to change and meet deadlines
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks in a dynamic atmosphere
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Strong regard for product quality and safety standards
- High level Excel, Word, and Outlook skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Bachelor/Associate Degree with 3 to 5 years previous experience in manufacturing as a Production Planner.
- APICS or CPIM certification preferred
- Experience in MRP logic/system preferred (ie. Sage)
- Any equivalent combination of training and similar experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and ability, may qualify.