Bathrooms are a more important part of our living spaces than ever before. Not only do they serve as a space to refresh and revitalize, but they can boost our quality of life. Not unlike a luxury spa, the bathroom has become a place of refuge, offering privacy and promoting comfort and wellness. That’s why we’ve focused on uncovering what the most luxurious spas around the world have in common. From Quebec and Copenhagen to Sydney and Bangkok, we’re drawing inspiration from around the globe to bring you design ideas that you can use to create your own luxury retreat at home this year.
There is something Zen-like in the design of luxury day spas. With clean lines and minimal accessories, guests are free to focus all five senses on their surroundings without distractions. Strom Nordic Spa in Quebec City was designed in this pared-down, monochromatic architectural style. The deliberate lack of adornments and muted tones create the feeling of space and openness. Here are a few design tricks that can help you create a minimalist vibe for your 2021 spa-inspired bathroom:
- Trade opulence for simplicity (Swap out heavy fabrics for sheer white window coverings and replace gold-framed mirrors for a frameless version, for example).
- Choose a floating vanity to create the illusion of space.
- Incorporate different shades of the same color throughout the bathroom for a feeling of unity.
- Skip handles and pulls on drawers and cabinets or go with leather straps as a unique alternative.
- If you’ve got space, incorporate a free-standing, ergonomic tub – not only will it look sleek and modern, but it’ll be more comfortable for long soaks. If not, consider updating your tub/shower combo to a modern walk-in shower.
A Mix of Materials
Luxury spas tend to use natural materials such as wood, leather, and stone, to create a modern, nature-inspired vibe with textures that stimulate the senses. That’s what inspired the design of The Krane spa in Copenhagen. Here, grey stone covers the space from floor to ceiling and custom pieces made from leather, wood, stone, and steel can be found throughout. In Sweden, luxury spa “Andrum” (which translates to ‘breathing room’) was designed in this style as well, using a calculated mix of exposed concrete walls, stone floors, and slatted wooden ceilings. Here are a few ways to mix materials for your own 2021 ‘breathing room’:
- Top your vanity with a polished concrete countertop.
- Consider natural flooring such as Bamboo or Travertine. If you like the look of natural wood, choose luxury vinyl wood-look floors instead of the real thing.
- Add dimension in the form of a woven rug, leather cabinet pulls, or textured wallpaper.
- Natural stone wall surrounds create an authentic look and resist mold and mildew. Our DuraBath™ wall surrounds are harvested from 3,000-year-old rock quarries – an ideal element for luxury spa style.
- Choose fixtures – such as a marble vessel sink or a vintage pump faucet – that add a touch of elegance without frills.
Infinity Wellbeing spa in Bangkok is surrounded by lush gardens. Inside, leafy plants provide privacy and a calming ambience and green terrazzo wash basins and teal acoustic panels create a serene vibe. A few ideas to help you recreate the look in your own bathroom this year:
- Removable wallpaper makes it easier than ever to change the look of your space. Choose a botanical or floral theme.
- Aloe, lavender, or bamboo plants purify the air and color and dimension to your bathroom. Be sure to choose plants that do well in humid environments with little or no direct sunlight.
- Don’t have a green thumb? Go with faux plants and add a diffuser to bring the aroma of lavender, eucalyptus, lilac, and other soothing scents into your space.
- Choose colors that set the right mood. 2021’s colors of the year incorporate sophisticated shades, elevated comfort, natural harmony, and mindful wellness—perfect for a luxury spa vibe!
Luxury spas from LA to New York and around the world use an abundance of natural light and complement their design with ambient and strip lighting to accent surroundings and create a calm environment. While not every bathroom is equipped with a window, there are ways to mimic sunlight and provide a connection to nature. A few ideas:
- Install a dimmer switch with ‘warm’ bulbs to create a softer mood.
- Smart lighting can replicate the changing color and intensity of sunlight throughout the day, which helps you feel more tuned in to nature and wind down as the day ends.
- Add light strips under cabinets and shelving and behind mirrors.
- Choose understated light fixtures with simple lines in keeping with a minimalist spa style.
The most luxurious spas in the world are marked by those unexpected extras you can’t help but notice—warm towels, heated floors, steam showers, and natural loofahs. You don’t have to blow your 2021 bathroom-remodeling budget to surround yourself with expensive elements but consider splurging on one or two of these for a luxury experience – you won’t be disappointed!
- A new shower head. Modern designs mimic the natural flow of falling rain and provide the perfect amount of pressure. You’ll never go back to a traditional shower head once you experience the sensation of a rainfall shower head!
- Touchless faucets and soap dispensers are reminiscent of high-end luxury spas and help to minimize the spread of germs.
- Smart showers allow you to control the temperature of your shower and set a timeframe to avoid wasting water.
- A seamless shower bench provides support, relaxation, and an extra space to hold soaps and shampoos.
- Transfer soaps, body washes, and shampoos to apothecary-style dispensers for an uncluttered, up-scale appearance.
- Bluetooth speakers pipe in soothing music or spa sounds to set the tone of your relaxing retreat.
Ready to create your own luxury spa at home? Re-Bath provides the designers and remodeling experts to make it a reality in just days, not weeks. Contact your local Re-Bath today to schedule your free design consultation.