It’s the end of a long day. You walk into the house, set your keys down, and inhale, breathing in the comforts of home and exhaling the stresses of modern life. Many of us look to make our houses an escape from the hectic outside world. A destination of comfort, relaxation, and peace, we find refuge from the chaos of modern life when we walk through that front door.
It’s no wonder then, that recreating an atmosphere of ultimate relaxation is a growing trend among homeowners. If a home spa sounds too good to be true, you’re in luck. We’ve taken inspiration from some of the world’s greatest spas to assemble this list of 18 practical, actionable ideas for turning your bathroom into a mini, luxury spa (and you won’t have to spend $100 an hour or more to enjoy it).
A Home Spa Makes Scents
- Bring in aloe, lavender, or bamboo plants to purify the air and add a touch of nature to your bathroom. There are countless options perfect for any space. Choose plants that can thrive in humid environments with little or no direct sunlight.
- Add a diffuser to infuse your bathroom with the aroma of lavender, eucalyptus, lilac and other soothing scents. Though candles and incense are ever-popular, diffusers provide all the same benefits with less upkeep (and they don’t necessitate an open flame).
- The odor left by harsh chemical cleaners can detract from a relaxing environment. Instead, try natural cleaning products with DIY guides like this one for a more soothing atmosphere.
- A waterproof bluetooth speaker is perfect for setting the tone of a relaxing retreat. Inexpensive and easy to use, playing some of your favorite mood-music or natural sounds while you soak is an ideal way to end the day.
- Thick, soft towels are an easy upgrade. And if you want to take it a step further, consider adding a towel warmer. Imagine stepping out of a steaming bath or shower and wrapping yourself in a warm, luxurious bath towel. It doesn’t get much more relaxing than that!
Design Your Home Spa with Serenity in Mind
- Tubs are making a comeback this year. If you’re thinking about a tub or shower upgrade, consider choosing a freestanding tub for an instant luxury spa look.
- An earthy color palette can help create a calming atmosphere. But if you’re looking to create a bold, luxury look, go darker… think navy blues and even black. Dark colors call to mind an indulgent spa experience. Consult with a design professional to choose a serene palette that works with your style and décor.
- Transfer soaps, body washes, and shampoos to apothecary-style dispensers for an uncluttered appearance.
- Lighting is a critical component of a professional spa’s tranquil ambiance. Install dimmer switches to set a calm, sunset-like mood.
- Use a combination of stone and wood-like materials for your wall-surrounds. Not only does this create a theatrical beauty reminiscent of a luxury spa, but your shower walls will be more resilient to mold, mildew, and stains.
- Beautiful, durable, and resilient, stone or tile flooring is a major spa-like upgrade. Wood-look materials are another great option for a natural appearance.
Accessorize for Home Spa Tranquility
- Replace those plastic or rubber body scrubbers with natural loofahs and sponges. Biodegradable and inexpensive, these are the perfect accessory for a relaxing experience.
- The right mirror can complete the look of your vanity or countertop arrangement. Out of date, dirty or broken mirrors are unsightly and easily replaced for a more modern look.
- A plush bathrobe and comfortable slippers are affordable luxuries at their finest and will perfectly complement your new home spa.
- Consider adding a shower bench or a built-in caddy. Matching benches are a beautiful, functional addition to almost any shower, and a built-in caddy makes storage a breeze and adds a 5-star touch.
- A new shower head can set the tone for your home spa experience. Modern designs mimic the natural flow of falling rain and provide the perfect amount of pressure. You’ll never go back to a traditional shower head once you experience the sensation that a rainfall showerhead provides!
- Touchless faucets and soap dispensers are reminiscent of high-end luxury spas and simple to install. A little bit of the right technology can add a lot of luxury.
- Speaking of technology, smart showers will continue to gain steam this year. Voice activation or simple smart phone app allow you to start and pause your shower and set a timeframe to avoid wasting water, control the temperature, and be notified when it’s ready.
Turning your bathroom into a private spa is a fantastic way to add functionality and value to your home. If you’re ready to create your dream relaxation space, Re-Bath provides the designers and remodeling experts to make it a reality in just days, not weeks. Contact your local Re-Bath today for a free design consultation and get on the path to ultimate at-home serenity.