Bathrooms, especially small ones, should be well lit not only to make it easier to apply makeup or shave, but also to make the bathroom feel open, bright, and welcoming. Natural light is especially refreshing. However, it's necessary to balance beautiful light with necessary privacy.
When choosing your bathroom windows, be sure to ask yourself the following questions.
- Are you looking for something functional or decorative?
- Can a skylight or window be installed in your bathroom?
- How much are you willing to spend?
- Do you want to control the light?
- Do you care if people see your silhouette through the window?
Once you know what needs your bathroom window must meet, you can explore the options below.
Types of Bathroom Windows
Are you building a bathroom from scratch, or doing a complete remodel that includes replacing windows? If so, consider investing in one of these types of windows that are ideal for the bathroom:
- High Bathroom Windows – Installing windows high up on the wall means plenty of light without compromising privacy.
- Glass Block Bathroom Windows – The glass in glass block windows is bubbly enough that they obscure the interior, while allowing plenty of light to enter the bathroom.
- Skylights – Skylights are a beautiful way to illuminate your bathroom from above, and also provides a plethora of privacy.
- Regular Bathroom Windows – The average window lets in plenty of light, and regular windows also have the benefit of being able to open for ventilation. Additionally, a variety of glass styles means you can select your level of privacy. However, if you choose a clear glass window, it will likely require the addition of one of the options below to ensure privacy.
Applying a window film to an existing window is an inexpensive way to add privacy. Some adhere by static cling, meaning no mess and easy installation. However, keep in mind that, depending on the type of film, your silhouette may still be visible within the bathroom, especially at night.
Determined to control the amount of light entering your bathroom, and have complete privacy? A window covering is a great and inexpensive solution. Consider which will best meet your needs out of the following:
- Blinds – Available in a variety of materials, blinds are available in a wide range of colors, and are easy to open and close, granting you light and a view, or privacy with just the twist of a rod.
- Shutters – Wooden shutters are easy to clean, and allow a multitude of light into the bathroom, as well as plenty of privacy. Some are available in combination with blinds!
- Curtains – Long, short, thick, or sheer, curtains allow for a variety of lighting options, colors, and styles. Looking for a way to include more light? Using cafe curtains to cover just the lower half of the window provides the bathroom with both privacy and illumination.
- Shades – A pull down shade is an affordable way to quickly get the privacy you need, and can be found in a variety of thicknesses to meet your lighting needs.
In addition, all of these options can add a decorative element to your bathroom, allowing your personality to shine through.
Remodeling After All?
Need new windows for your bathroom remodel? Contact us today to schedule your free on site consultation.